Thursday, March 26, 2015

Year of the Superstar

I would like to proclaim that 2015 is the “Year of the Superstar.” adidas made waves last year after the re-release of the adidas Originals Stan Smith 80s, and with collaborations such as the ones with Pharell Williams and Raf Simons and special editions (think “American Dad”), it seems adidas has found the formula.

A decade after the "35th Anniversary" of the Superstar in 2005, adidas is re-launching one of its most iconic and globally-recognized sneaker. Though it has always been a staple in retail stores and outlets worldwide, this year promises to bring something different.

I will be making a series of posts dedicated to the Superstars, and to start it off I’ll be sharing a post that I made at one of the Facebook sneaker groups that I’m a part of and one of my personal favorites, Soul_to_Sole LTD. Now when you join the group, you have to introduce yourself, say something about yourself, and tell the group about how you got hooked on sneakers. Finally, you have to share your #MemorablePair.

So, here’s how mine went…

"Hi S2S Fam! 

This is me adiCT, the group's die hard adidas fanatic, with that, a lil' heads up, ya'll know where this is going... 

This is the adidas Originals Superstar 2 IS or 'adiColor'. They have interchangeable Stripes much like it's predecessor the Superstar W5s. 

This pair is so damn special to me because I went to ELEVEN (11) (yes you guys read it right) 11 malls just to look for them. It took me 11 malls because they were out months before it hit me that I really wanted a pair. Right before I got this pair, I had just recently bought a fresh pair of white on whites Superstars. So at that time it kind of didn't make sense to me get a new pair that looked almost identical (minus the stripes though). But then it hit me, the stripes were interchangeable. INTERCHANGEABLE!!! So they really grew on me and made it standout.The first mall I went to was SM Manila because it was the nearest to my school (proud Red Lion right here!) Next stop was Robinsons Place Manila. Then it was SM Megamall. After that was a quick walk to Robinson's Galleria. Then a long walk to Robinsons Place Pioneer. You guys could just imagine, 11 malls, within those 11 malls, I went to every sports shop there was and department stores, desperately looking for a pair. My last stop was SM Mall of Asia at it was the nearest to where I live. I was lucky enough to find a pair at Trinoma and Ali Mall (yes a mall in Q.C. named after the legendary boxer) but they were all big. I couldn't find my size (9.5US). The smallest they had was 10.5US. And I settled for it and bought them the following day. I was kidding myself that they looked just fine but in reality they were a tad too long and was really emphasized when I wore shorts with them. So they were relegated to "Jeans Only" wear. 

Tongue out with the fat laces on. Color of the stripes matching the color of my shirt. I rocked them with pride and confidence. And I always got those looks and necks to turn. Wore them almost everyday as my default beaters for my last two and a half years in college. They've seen the lights of parties, outings and almost every activity I did during those time. 

This was all during the 'no hype' era, 

So there you have it. Nothing special on your books. But this pair means so much to me and the memories they bring with em. 

Now, to find me another pair. Off to another adventure!!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment