Saturday, July 19, 2014

T-Mac Fan For Life!!!

Jeff Gross/Getty Images

The first time I ever heard the name Tracy McGrady was when I was in 1st Year High School. I remember it was during class, and that day we had PE. I gazed on my seatmate's kicks, he was wearing these blue/white/black sneakers. I asked what they were and my friend, Nei, answered they're TMACs. Then I was like, "What?" and he said "They're Tracy McGrady's of the Orlando Magic." First thing that went into my mind was Tracy was some white basketball player. For some reason I thought Tracy was a white man's name. No pun intended. True story! 

First time I ever saw him play was during the 2003 NBA Playoffs. His team, Orlando Magic, were leading the series versus the Detroit Pistons and up 3-1. I remember him boasting that they were assured to advance to the 2nd Round. So his cockiness, which bit him in the ass, and signature shoes with his adidas line left an everlasting impression on me. 

adidas TMAC 1 'All Star'


The adidas TMAC 1, a marriage between adidas basketball's rich basketball heritage and the futuristic designs of the 2000s, is a shoe that has this love it or hate it element to it. The shelltoes was redesigned for aesthetics and functional purposes. By extending the rubber shelltoe to the lateral side of the forefoot, it acts as an additional support for lockdown and stability while adding that iconic and classic look of the shelltoes. The fact that Tracy McGrady made that off-the-backboard alley-oop with this particular colorway back in 2002 made this shoe even more memorable, earning a nod to be retro'd in 2012. 

Photo by Getty Images
That 2002 NBA All-Star Game off-the-backboard alley-oop may go down as one of the most memorable and electrifying plays in history. T-Mac not only made it look easy but he cemented his ownership of the move by making the same play during the 2004 NBA All-Star Game.This time though he was sporting another shoe. But that's another story to be told some other time.

On June 29, 2004, he was traded to the Houston Rockets, forming a dynamic duo with the 7'6" center, Yao Ming. As a fan I had mix feelings with the trade because I was a bit fond of the then franchise player and high flying, Steve 'Franchise' Francis. But then the thought of T-Mac and Yao teaming up would have been the next big thing to the Kobe-Shaq duo. And after year after year of heart breaking exits from the 1st Round of the Playoffs since his Toronto Raptors days and missing the Playoffs in 2004, I thought this would be T-Mac's chance to make it to the 2nd Round. 

T-Mac had some of the best performance of his career while donning a Rockets uniform. On December 9, 2004, T-Mac put on a stellar performance by single handedly beating the San Antonio Spurs by scoring the last 13 points of his team in the last 35 seconds. This  is arguably one of the best individual performance by an individual and come from behind win in NBA history. I even joke around with my friends whenever I'm watching a ball game and one team is down by 10 or so points that only T-Mac can bring them back in the game. 



In the 2005 NBA Playoffs, the Houston Rockets took a 2-0 lead over the Dallas Mavericks in a in-State showdown. T-Mac had another highlight by dunking over 7'6" center, Shawn Bradley. They would however bow down in 7 games. The next season, they missed the 2006 NBA Playoffs by going 34-48 after going 51-31 in the 2005 regular season. The Rockets then made the 2007 and 2008 Playoffs but both runs suffered heart breaking exits in the hands of the Utah Jazz. The following season, they would don a 53-29 record, T-Mac only played 35 games and missed the rest of the season due to injuries. The Rockets would then win their 1st Round series versus the Portland Trailblazers and advance for the 1st time to the 2nd Round. After years of 1st Round exits, I felt that this was it, but I really felt sad that T-Mac wasn't actually apart of it. He was on the injured list so he technically made the 2nd Round for the first time in his career. 




In February 2010, Tracy McGrady would then be traded as part of a three team trade that dealt him to the New York Knicks. I was ecstatic with the idea upon hearing the news because New York is the Mecca of basketball. I thought his star would shine brighter in a bigger stage, in the Big Apple. He showed glimpses and flashes of his old self even scoring 26 points in a loss versus the Oklahoma City Thunders. The next season he would sign with the Detroit Pistons and after a year he would sign with the Atlanta Hawks. Those years with the Pistons and Hawks would have looked like wasted years. But somehow I'm glad they took a shot at T-Mac. He would play a year in China for the Qingdao Eagles where he travelled like a superstar (yes! T-Mac is still that big in Asia!). On April 16, 2013, the San Antonio Spurs signed him. I said to myself, "Finally, he's in a position to win". They barged into the NBA Finals against the fan favorite Miami Heat and in game 6 was minutes away from being crowned champions. I never felt so happy for a NBA player during that time. I was so happy that finally T-Mac would get rid of the ghosts in his closet. But then... 'Jesus' happened. It was only fitting that a Biblical Hebrew name that has a root word that meant to rescue or to deliver saved the Heat. It has to be one of the most devastating loss that I've ever watched. The Spurs would loss in game 7. 


www.facebook.com/Tracy.McGrady.News.


Tracy McGrady has to be the ultimate 'what if' player in the history of the NBA. What if he stayed a little longer in Toronto with his cousin Vince Carter? What if he had a better cast of support with the Orlando Magic? What if he wasn't hobbled with injuries in his stay with the Houston Rockets? What if the Knicks, Pistons and Hawks gambled and gave him the mantle and showed us the T-Mac of the past? What if he had minutes and guarded the self proclaimed 'King'?, am pretty sure that would have been a sight to see. 

I would be lying if I didn't say I didn't sob when T-Mac announced his retirement. I felt like he still had a lot to give being only 35 years old! I was even more surprised when he announced he was pursuing a career in baseball. 

As a fan, I try to get my hands on every T-Mac merchandise I encounter. From kicks to wristbands to even pages off of a magazine. I try to rep T-Mac as much as I can. Its sad though that kids these days would only see glimpses of his talent thru clips and images. Some kids don't even know who Tracy McGrady is. Or maybe its just father time saying am too old to know who he is. But keep in mind that what ever you kids see what the likes of the Durants, Georges and James' does on court, T-Mac was there before them. When you see an off-the-backboard alley-oop, T-Mac did it back in 2002. Or the time when there were talks that Kobe Bryant was only 2nd best to T-Mac. Hey even Kobe admitted that T-Mac always gave him problems and was a lot to handle during his hey days. Tracy McGrady will probably go down in history as one of the best players to ever play the game to never win a ring joining the ranks of Karl Malone, John Stockton and Patrick Ewing.  


www.facebook.com/TracyMcGrady
He recently retired from baseball after an All-Star game appearance for the Sugar Land Skeeters and after earning his first strikeout. Maybe he'll do an ala MJ and comeback out of retirement after playing baseball? I do hope so! So what's in store now for T-Mac? He has a foundation called The Tracy McGrady Foundation that's active in the Florida and Houston Area. He changed his jersey number to #3 during a season with the Rockets for his support in the crisis in Darfur which was featured in a documentary called 3 Points. He recently opened a shoe store in Houston called Sole Lounge. Maybe this means more retro's of his memorable kicks from adidas? How I wish. There's always enough room in my closet for a pair of TMACs.

As a fan, I would still love to see T-Mac play. So, Tracy Lamar McGrady, Jr. if you're reading this, come play in the Philippine Basketball Association, am pretty sure a lot of your fans here would enjoy and would love to watch you live!


For more news about Tracy McGrady checkout the following sites!

Official Tracy McGrady Page

Tracy McGrady News

http://www.t-mac.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment